| Aponogeton aquatic plant with beta fish. |
In 2009 I bought a set of dried aquatic plant rhizomes at a big box pet store and plopped them in my beta bowl. One plant sprouted and lived for over a year alongside my happy beta fish. I loved the look of the real plant (versus those awful plastic substitutes) that I tried growing more from similar plant bulb sets but never duplicated my original success. What was this hardy plant and why could I not grow it again?
Thankfully a F&M reader replied to the original post and indicated that the mystery plant is called Aponogeton. After perusing some aquatic plant boards I put together the following information on this plant:
- "Hardy" aponogeton is often grown from a dried bulb set, with as unsuccessful odds as I experienced (often only 1-2 bulbs from a set will sprout).
- Once the plant is growing it can often live for a year or more, but will go through dormant periods. One contributor suggested a few weeks in cold water may help spur the plant back to life.
- Aponogeton can bloom and set a flower on the surface of the water. I vaguely recall mine putting out an unimpressive flower. If you want to stall the dormancy period of the plant pinch of the flower bud before it blooms!
- Aponogeton will thrive in low light and - based on my experience- can handle still water.
- Aponogeton covers a wide and varied range of aquatic plants, with different foliage and sizes. See a large array of images here.
Have you every grown an aquarium plant from a dried rhizome? Do you have more advice about aponogetons?
7A649FC8
ReplyDeleteZonguldak
Nevşehir
Çorum
Rize
Bolu
Artvin
Bilecik
Kilis
Sinop
82645C0D
ReplyDeleteTrabzon
Çorum
Urfa
Artvin
Bartın
Kars
Bolu
Tunceli
Hakkari
699A2F3B
ReplyDeleteKilyos
Reyhanlı
Bornova
Gürcistan
Yenişehir
İslahiye
Akyaka
Manavgat
Çeşme